15 reasons why menu planning is a good organizing idea

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketSo many people want to get organized but are overwhelmed and just don't know where to start. My answer may surprise people because what I suggest has nothing to do with your stuff but everything to do with managing your household…..menu planning.

It takes a small amount of time but the impact is huge. The time you free up can then be used to make a difference in other areas of your life.

Here are 15 reasons why menu planning works for me:

1. I never have to come up with a last minute meal idea off the top of my head.
2. Our meals are for the most part healthier and well balanced which helps keep my weight in check.
3. I always have the ingredients in the house for whatever I'm making because I make up my menu plan before going grocery shopping.
4. I always know what meat to take out of the freezer the night before.
5. I save money by not buying groceries I don't end up using.
6. I save money by planning my weekly menu around what is on sale that particular week.
7. I save time by planning quick and easy meals (especially crockpot meals which can be prepared in the morning when I'm not rushed and have more energy).
8. My kids and husband enjoy knowing in advance what is for dinner.
9. Helps me to avoid last minute unhealthy desperation meals.
10. I don't have to spend any more time in the kitchen than is absolutely necessary.
11. Knowing in advance what is coming up allows me to often prep one meal while making another, saving me even more time.
12. Dinner is organized and on the table at the same time every night.
13. If I need to use up food in my pantry or freezer I can plan my menu accordingly.
14. Less storage space is required in my kitchen as I'm only purchasing what I'm going to need for the week.
15. It gives me something to blog about every Monday :)

If you have been thinking about giving menu planning a try, now is the time. It's simple and it's easy. Create a menu of your own or "borrow" one from the many that are linked up to Menu Plan Monday each week at my site. I love getting fresh ideas and recipes from all the ladies that participate.

Happy Menu Planning!

11 thoughts on “15 reasons why menu planning is a good organizing idea

• August 1 2007 at 6:23 pm

I don't know what I would DO without Menu Plan Monday!! :)

• August 1 2007 at 7:13 pm

Laura,
    I love Menu Plan Monday too. Sometimes it's great to get ideas from other folks to see what they are eating and it helps when you need some meal planning inspiration, so thanks for that!

Also, I love the fact that you are a fan of the crockpot – I love being able to see recipes for that wonderful tool. It is a real help to busy moms/wives & to people with health issues also.

• Pingback: Errand Running made easy. - Stacks and Stacks Clutter Control Freak Blog

• April 15 2008 at 2:52 pm

How do I start planning menus? Is the "how to" only on the site on Mondays? I'd love to start. Please show me how.

Thanks,
    Requelle

• April 15 2008 at 3:29 pm

Hi Requelel,
    Laura's site must be having some problems. None of her links above are working right now. You can normally find her Menu Planing Monday tips here:

• April 28 2008 at 12:14 pm

I just moved to a new house. I use to have a large walk-in pantry, I now have just one closet type pantry. I have put two large double door pantry type cupboards in the garage. I have made a list of everything in all the pantry's. I even did the freezer's, the upright, the roll out freezer in the extra refrigerator out in the garage, plus the freezer that is part of my side-by side refrigerator. I am in the process of putting these lists on my computer so my shopping days and meal planning will be easier. Does anyone have a good computer system for doing this? I am sort-of creating my own system. Thanks

• February 9 2009 at 9:08 pm

Hi, I am trying to get onto the menu planning and it keeps saying the website cannot be displayed. I tried to type in
    orgjunkie.blogspot.com even and it still wouldn't work. Does this website no longer run?

• October 24 2009 at 10:31 am

15 reasons why menu planning is a great idea was really helpful…and made a lot of sense….plan on trying to manage to prepare a menu for the week every week now onwards

• February 2 2010 at 12:24 am

I enjoy menu planning. It helps me get organized. Even if my menu may change a few times during the day before I settle on a final meal plan. Keeps life interesting.