organized listening

stack_of_cdsCD BinderLiving in a small home, every shelf counts. As an audio-phile I've amassed hundreds of C.D.s. Storing them costs valuable closet space. So I've recently tossed all of those jewel cases and have organized all of my C.D.s by genre in one, large, binder. I've saved the liner notes with the C.D. and just slid the actual disk, right in front. This is a great solution for your D.V.D.s as well. And it's portable! These albums can be found at most electronics stores.

Here's a CD Binder from Stacks and Stacks that holds 128 CDs. They also have this great 100-CD Organizer with a 20-CD Travel Case.

6 thoughts on “organized listening

• August 8 2007 at 1:34 am

I have wanted to do this, but someone told me that it's not good for the CDs to be 'touching' the fabric/cloth/something when they are in a case like that. When they are in the jewel cases, they "float" and have less chance of getting scratched or ruined. Do you have an opinion about this?

• August 8 2007 at 10:22 am

we keep all our cds and dvds (even software cds) in cases like these.

eventually we'll move to a better organized case (by genre, alphabetical, etc), but they save much space and are perfect for easy access. my daughter can look through the book and easily find the movie she wants to watch by looking at the cover.

i have yet to have a problem with anything being ruined/damaged/etc. we have been doing this for many many years now. most of my cds were like this (i was in college, it was easy to tote) and those cds are still in great condition.

• August 8 2007 at 10:35 am

i have had no issues with damage.

i think so many of us are up loading our cds onto the computer, so this also eliminates the constant sliding in and out of the disk.

maybe purists would feel that this isn't the best way. but i love the accessibility and have found no problem with damage.

• August 9 2007 at 8:48 pm

If you do this, please offer the empty jewel cases to your local library. They usually need more to replace broken ones.

• August 9 2007 at 11:53 pm

i love this idea about donating them to the library!

• August 10 2007 at 10:50 pm

I'm a cover art junkie, so this is a no-go for me.

If you can get those binders with a closure other than zippers, that is great – otherwise you're more likely to scratch the playing surface on the zipper when you take the CD out of one of the top pockets (my kids did this with their DVDs – won't make that mistake again).