Label Your Stuff!

I know I'm not the only one out there who lives and travels with a mobile phone, portable GPS unit, and an iPod (I used to have a PDA but I broke it!) Some of you have even more electronic stuff than that. I know between the car chargers, the wall chargers, and the computer and camera sync cables, you get sick and tired of having to think about which charger goes with which piece of equipment. Zoinks, Scoob!

You know the scenario… you're driving down the road and you need to plug in your portable GPS unit so you can find your next stop. You reach for the car charger and plug it into the dashboard outlet, then try to connect it to your GPS but it won't fit. You quickly realize you grabbed the phone charger instead, so you start feeling around on the floor for the GPS charger. They look similar so it's easy to mix them up and grab the wrong one. Drat!

Now picture this…you're finishing up packing for a business trip and at the last second, you realize your PDA is really low on charge, so you toss the charger for your PDA into your luggage knowing you can plug it in overnight at the hotel. When you arrive at your hotel room, you unpack and want to charge your PDA for the week. You pull out the charger and realize the one you brought isn't for your PDA at all. It's for your mobile phone! Dangit, they all look so similar! Now your PDA may totally run out of juice before your trip is over. Drat!

The 10-Second Solution
I fixed this problem in just a few seconds by using one of my favorite old standby organizing concepts: LABEL YOUR STUFF! And, as is often the case, Sharpie came to my rescue. I just pulled out my fabulous Metallic Silver Sharpie and wrote right on the side of each charger. I know… it's blindingly obvious, eh?

chargers.jpgYou can see by the photo of my chargers, the silver ink shows up great because the chargers are black.

Even on the white iPod cords and cables, the silver looks nice and is visible, although I have to say God bless Apple for making their cords look different. Yay Steve Jobs, what a concept!

The great news about taking five seconds (yes, five seconds) to label my stuff is that now I never have to stop to think about which charger I'm grabbing, particularly if I'm in a hurry. Plus, it makes it obvious if I've packed two of the same one in my luggage, which is just a waste of space.

I tellya, sometimes the simplest solutions are the best ones! What ultra-simple solutions have you come up with that were quick to implement, but paid off in happiness and convenience over and over again?

~Monica

9 thoughts on “Label Your Stuff!

• August 9 2007 at 10:19 am

What a fun blog! I love your ideas and products.

• August 9 2007 at 10:54 am

Kudos Monica. Sometimes we think too hard about solutions when the simplest is usually the one you slap yourself on the head and say "why didn't I think of that?"

• Pingback: Metallic Sharpies to label plastic stuff

• August 13 2007 at 6:32 pm

I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one obsessed with labeling chargers with a silver Sharpie. It has saved untold hours trying to figure out what charger is for what. If you do don't do it, try it and you see how much it simplifies life. Sometimes the small hacks are the best.

• September 9 2007 at 9:40 pm

good idea! Another simple organizing tool? Ziplock baggies with the zipper…good for everything from seperating meats (that you will use in a short period of time) to little things; like during our recent move we used a ziplock to store screws for the different pieces of furniture that had to be put back together, and if necessary- LABEL it…They're reusable if you use them for stuff around the house and so inexpensive.

• September 9 2007 at 11:56 pm

Thanks for all the great comments, ladies! I have found that the Sharpie stays on a good long time, too.
    ~Monica

• July 21 2009 at 8:39 am

In order to avoid violating local laws, deal only with authorized agents when you exchange money or purchase art or antiques.

• September 23 2009 at 4:28 am

This reminds me of how everyone used to label their stuff in college. We always got our chargers mixed up, until some genius proposed we all buy different brands!