I love books. I read both fiction and non-fiction ALL the time.
I found that because I love books so much, I tend to collect them very easily. If I don’t have boundaries, the books would overrun me.
So these are MY rules to prevent book clutter:
1. I only buy fiction at about 25% of the normal cost. This is because I read them too fast for me to justify the expense.
2. If I can get it at the library, I don’t buy it.
3. If I can borrow it, I don’t buy it.
4. When I’m done reading something, I rate the book out of 10. The only books on my bookshelf are those that rated 8 or higher. Not all 8’s stay but everything on the shelf is at least an 8 (or not yet read).
5. All the books that don’t make the grade either go to a secondhand bookshop or to a friend who will enjoy them. Or get donated to the library.
6. I contain myself to two small bookcases. When they become cramped, I get ruthless 🙂 . It usually becomes easier to get rid of something that was a must-have a few years ago!
7. I don’t feel compelled to keep any book that has been gifted to me. I want to surround myself with books I love and use.
How do you keep the book clutter at bay?
Please share your ideas in the comments!
P.S. I decluttered that pile of books in the picture recently.