Product of the Week: Quakehold Putty

puttyLiving in California always gets me thinking about earthquakes during Disaster Preparedness Month.

My mom survived the 1989 Loma Prieta quake in Northern California. The damage to her home and her stuff would have been much worse if it weren't for this nifty little item.

She had stuck it to the bottom of all her collectible items around the house. Most of her items stayed on the shelves and she lost very few things to the quake!

6 thoughts on “Product of the Week: Quakehold Putty

• September 10 2007 at 6:56 am

I wonder if this dries out or cracks if used in direct sunlight? I've got a long window above my sliding glass door that'd I like to put some small glass objects on. But I don't like the idea of them becoming projectiles during a major earthquake. (Everyone says we're overdue for The Big One.) This seems like a great solution – if it's not false security.

• September 10 2007 at 11:21 am

Hi Pat

I've never had a problem with it drying out. For glass items, though, QuakeHold Gel may work even better. It's clear so you can't see it through the glass, and molds to the shape of the object even easier.

~Eva

• September 10 2007 at 1:36 pm

Earthquakes can be a trying event to say the least. Any tips for preserving a household and the items located in it are truly appreciated.

Thank-you for posting this article!

• September 11 2007 at 3:25 pm

What a great Idea!!!!

• September 13 2007 at 5:01 am

Hi Eva,

Thanks! The QuakeHold gel description mentions that it has a shelf life of 2 years, though the regular one doesn't mention a shelf life.

Cool!

Pat

• September 13 2007 at 12:03 pm

Hey Pat!

The regular one is a museum putty that says it's "reusable and lasts for years". It does last a very long time. I'll add this info to the product page as well.

Thanks!