Keeping the Clothes Off the Floor

115438.jpgWhat do you do with those not-quite-fresh clothes – the ones you've worn once or twice but can wear again before they get washed? Many of us don't want to put them back in the closet or dresser, but we need better options than the floor. Here are a few suggestions.

1. Hang some hooks and use them for the worn-but-not-totally-dirty clothes.

2. Use a valet stand or a coat rack

3. If they are clothes that don't need to hang, such as workout clothes, they can go in a basket or hamper dedicated to just these clothes.

7 thoughts on “Keeping the Clothes Off the Floor

• December 31 2007 at 11:52 am

Surely workout clothes don't fall into the category of clothes that can be worn more than once before washing…right?! They're sweaty!

• January 1 2008 at 5:10 pm

Fern, certainly many workout clothes need a washing after each wear. But I go to the gym and do a half hour on the elliptical machine; while my shirts need a washing after each wear, my pants or shorts are OK for more than one time. And when I go to yoga class, I can wear those pants more than once, too.

But maybe I should have given sweatshirts and sweatpants as an example of clothes that wouldn't need to be hung up.

• January 1 2008 at 7:54 pm

I love those valet stands! I didn't know such a thing existed.

I never really thought about it before; my can-be-worn-again clothes tend to just sit next to the hamper on the floor. You are right; I need a better solution than that.

• January 3 2008 at 8:48 pm

Growing up, my mom always had a chair in her room that she draped clothes over. For many years, I did the same. These days I use hooks on the back of the bathroom door.

If you have shelving in your closet (not you, Jeri — the generic "you"), perhaps a shelf could be dedicated to "aren't dirty but aren't really clean" clothes?

– Claire

• January 7 2008 at 7:19 pm

Caitlin, I didn't know about valet stands until recently; you learn all sorts of stuff when you become a professional organizer! I'm glad this inspired you to look for a better answer than the floor for those clothes.

Claire, I too have hooks on the back of a door that I use for this purpose. But, as you note, there are many other options. (But one caution: I'd hesitate to store less-than-clean clothes in a closet that also stored wool or silk items, since body oils can attract destructive moths and beetles.)

• June 29 2011 at 7:46 am

Very nice recommendations! But I do love those valet stands. I have several orders online from amazon just this week, now I think I could add again with this pretty valet stand.