How to Organise Your Handbag

green-purseCorrie asked me how I organise my bag and while I talked about it before, I'm going to tell you about this one specifically.

1. Before I buy any bag, I empty out my current handbag in the shop and repack it in that bag to make sure it all fits. This is because my spatial ability is …well… non-existent so I might think it will all fit and I'm disappointed when I get home and then I have to return it. All a big waste of time.

2. I like a pocket on the outside for keys and a flat pocket somewhere else – either on the inside or on the other side of the bag. The flat pocket is for pens, my flash drive, a tiny calculator and gym card.

3. Of course on the inside I must have a pocket for my cell phone.

4. My planner must fit, together with my makeup bag and gorgeous green wallet. Notice how I have a see-through make-up bag because I hate looking for things.

How do I keep it organised?

• Everything always goes back in its place.
  • I clear out my wallet every weekend.
  • I update the planner a couple of times a day and I also do a quick review every night.
  • I choose a bag just big enough/ small enough for everything I need so I can't cram it full of junk.

How do you keep your handbag (purse) organised? Share in the comments.

12 thoughts on “How to Organise Your Handbag

• January 8 2008 at 6:26 pm

Hi Marcia,

I use a bag organizer sewn by my brother (yes, my brother!) It really helps me to keep my bag neat. It has space specially sewn for pens, coins, my hp, palm pilot, a larger compartment for my purse, etc etc… Makes it a lot easier to look for stuff and changing bags is a snap – just lift it up, put it into the new bag and it's ready to go! Will post a pic if anyone is interested to see one.

Wow, cool that you bought your last bag from KL, M'sia. I'm in Malaysia but in the Borneo island part. :-)

• January 8 2008 at 5:48 am

This is why I have downsized my purse size….to keep the clutter at a minimum. However, my 'appointment book' doesn't fit in it and now I keep leaving it behind…not a good thing when having to schedule clients!! I need to up my purse one more size! Thanks for stopping by and helping me out with my office dilemma!! I am now a Control Freak subscriber! ;)

• January 8 2008 at 7:44 am

I'm just curious, how do you put everything into the new purse in the store without having store security get just a bit suspicious about what you are doing? I envision my being haulled off to some back room in my favorite discount department store.

• January 8 2008 at 8:37 am

I have a Jen Groover Butler Bag and I love it. I have always been a bag purse/lover hoarder whatever you wanna call it. But this is the 1st purse I have carried more than a month and everyday I love it more. It just keeps stuff in its place I guess that just makes life easier for me.

• January 8 2008 at 9:12 am

Hi Jane

I usually walk to the nearest sales person and tell them, “listen, I’m checking to see if all my things fit in this bag, okay?” and no-one’s ever said anything contrary J

Thanks for commenting, everybody and Danielle, it's a huge pleasure!

• January 18 2008 at 8:26 pm

I have a few Pursekets — they come from small to very large, and fit in bags and totes to give you a bunch of smaller pockets. Very handy for knitting totes as well.

• March 27 2008 at 5:57 pm

That's actually a very good idea in that, in the store, you unpack everything that you have and size it into the new handbag. I think many people just don't have the patience for a task like that and would just go with a visual estimate in making the decision (not always the wisest of decision.) Or, in my case, I'd just look for a handbag that was noticably BIGGER than my current handbag and I'd go with that…

Bag Babe's last blog post..Genuine Gucci Wave Hobo Handbag | Spacious Bag With Feminine Flora Art

• Pingback: Cómo organizar nuestro bolso para ir a clases | Teens

• July 19 2008 at 11:57 am

Hi, I have the best purse, it took me along time to be satisfied with one. It is a coach ergo hobo and it holds everything.It is the perfect everyday bag,yes it was $135.00 but that was at an outlet, the reg. price is $268. My bag has an outside pocket in the front, a cell phone pocket, and another slip pocket.It has a zip pocket as well.Now I'am alot more organized, thanks coach!

• September 15 2008 at 6:18 pm

When you opt for quality you not only get a great looking bag on the outside but usually a functional organized bag on the inside. It's a win win.

• November 18 2008 at 3:06 am

Hi – I have a Tintmar Very Intelligente Pocket. This is a handbag organiser and a liner all in one. When I want to change my handbag or de-clutter it, I just pull it out! Really easy and takes seconds! (and it would be easy to check your handbag size in a shop too!)

• February 9 2010 at 2:29 pm

Hey all again…It's been awhile…I have just found my Hg bag…It is Coach..It is the Poppy Patent Spotlight. My 1st Patent leather bag and I love this bag..It is so easy to care for and functional! I bought it right after it came from the Full Price Coach store..So at the Outlet it cost $175.00…Not bad for a bag that will last.