An Empty Inbox is Like an Uncluttered Home

This is a picture of what my inbox usually looks like.

Because I'm being completely open and honest with you, right at the moment, I have 6 in my inbox.

It makes me smile ;) to see that lovely uncluttered space.

There are probably about 5 – 7 email habits I have that help to keep my inbox empty.
I'll share just one of the ways with you: Every day I play a game with myself to see how many emails I can delete.

When you turn things into a game, it becomes fun and not a chore. My goal is to delete 50 items daily. If I don't have that many after clearing my inbox, I go to my Sent Items to clear emails. Once you get used to seeing that uncluttered goodness, it's hard to go back to a full inbox. I know I can't. I almost start twitching when I see about 20! So for the next week, let's have some FUN and see how many emails you can delete daily.

What are your inbox tips?

P.S. There are MANY more tips in 7 easy steps to organise your office.

9 thoughts on “An Empty Inbox is Like an Uncluttered Home

• March 4 2008 at 10:02 am

I have 9 emails in my inbox right now, but since this is where I receive a lot of my to-do's for the day, that's pretty good. I use the two line view, so as long as I can keep it down to where there's no scrollbar on the side, I'm doing well!

You did inspire me to start deleting 100 a day from my sent folder and my deleted folder, though. I wish I could just dump those, but I always find myself backtracking for one reason or another.
    ;)

• March 4 2008 at 12:06 pm

Very helpful links – both of you – thanks!!

• March 5 2008 at 8:19 pm

i have 16. i too love an empty inbox, but i'll keep email reminders to myself there until i finish a task. it's sort of my digital "to-do" list. that, and i'll flag anything that's waiting for a response…so i know to check up on it once in a while if i don't hear back.

• March 5 2008 at 5:40 am

Eva, that's so wonderful. I am honoured that I inspired you on my 100 a day kick!

But most important, i am SO PROUD of you – yayyyyy, Eva :)

Family CEO and Beth

Thanks for those great links :)

• March 5 2008 at 8:52 am

I do the same thing, Amber – it's another one of my life saving lists, really. Thanks for the comment!

Awe, shucks, Marcia…thanks!
    ;)

• March 5 2008 at 12:19 pm

I think I need to do a teleseminar on Email – what do you think?