Repurposed Item of the Week: Shelf Liner

10338This stuff is fantastic!
Anything you want to keep from slipping – Grip-it Shelf Liner will do it.

I bought a roll, cut it into three inch wide strips and used a staple gun to attach it to the wood slats of my futon frame. Now my futon mattress doesn't slide down onto the floor!

You can use a strip to keep a table runner from slipping, or cut squares to fit under chair pads. You could even use it under a small rug!

Anyone else have any uses for it?

19 thoughts on “Repurposed Item of the Week: Shelf Liner

• March 28 2008 at 12:08 pm

I always line my shelves/cabinets in the kitchen with that stuff! It helps grip the plates/pans better and it also prevents scuffs etc on the nice shelves. Keeps the value of the house on the up and up (well sorta). (www.clovercrusade.blogspot.com)

• March 28 2008 at 12:27 pm

Funny thing is – I've never used it for a shelf.

• March 28 2008 at 1:37 pm

I tacked mine to the bottom of a bathroom rug that was slipping all over and now it stays in place.

The Chatty Housewife's last blog post..Overview

• March 28 2008 at 2:01 pm

I use it in the boot (trunk) of my car to stop things sliding around in there.

• March 28 2008 at 2:12 pm

Oooh – good idea, Jocelyn!

• March 28 2008 at 3:00 pm

When our kids were young we had a small TV on a bookcase. I was afraid that the kids would knock the TV off of the bookcase when they were horsing around. I used a sheet of the gripper stuff under the TV and it kept it in place.

• March 28 2008 at 3:56 pm

Great idea! Maybe I should use it on my daughter's wall shelves. The vibration of the door closing knocks thing off sometimes.

• March 29 2008 at 12:20 am

We use this on top of the dashboard to hold sunglasses and other other stuff. Works really well.
    I've tried it beneath a bathroom mat and after a certain period, parts of it actually glued onto the tiled-floor and they had to be scrapped off.

clara's last blog post..Vinegar wash

• March 30 2008 at 12:28 am

RVers use it between plates and pot n such for noise issues as well as keeping thingsin place.

• March 30 2008 at 2:32 pm

This stuff is invaluable in our RV! I put it under everything that sits on the counter, including the coffee maker and a small aquarium. In thousands of miles and some very rough roads, neither has ever fallen.

Louise's last blog post..Too much excitement

• April 1 2008 at 7:13 pm

It works great under the baby's carseat if you have leather seats. It keeps the seat from slipping, and prevents the deep marks that baby seats can leave behind.

christine's last blog post..She's Gone

• April 1 2008 at 8:57 am

These are all great ideas – wow! Thanks!

• September 19 2008 at 3:12 am

Help,
    My liner is stuck to my shelves. When I try and pull it up, it is leaving pieces behind. I did not use any adhesive on these, but it sure seems like I did.

• January 15 2009 at 1:27 pm

At our house we put it in the drawers of the tool box. Less clanging when tools go in and out and they stay put in the drawer. No sliding. We also use the pads when you need a good grip on something that is sliding. Of course you can use a piece to help you open a stuck lid too. Use one piece on the jar and sit down putting the jar between your legs to hold it then use a second piece around the lid. On a large jar you can now use both hands and can give the lid a good turn.

• January 12 2010 at 11:39 pm

Cut a piece for under your sewing machine & another for under the foot pedal ..no more wandering of either

• February 1 2011 at 9:27 pm

I use this in my refrigerator on the door shelf where I keep the milk. It keeps the milk from sliding when the door is opened and closed and keeps the shelf clean.

• February 1 2011 at 9:45 am

Hey, what a great idea, Lisa – thanks!!

• April 26 2011 at 4:44 pm

If you have granite countertops like I do, anything light and without grips on the bottom has the potential to slip. I've cut up small squares of shelf liner and put them under my metal paper towel holder and metal fruit basket, as well, a circle under a small vase that has a scratch ceramic bottom. I figured that one out right after my basket went flying off of my bar and onto the counter!

• April 27 2011 at 8:47 am

Fantastic idea, Marbelous!! Good thing it wasn't the vase that went flying!