Lose Your Excess Clutter Weight

scale_weighing_machine_240669_tn.jpg

My Food Diary.com offered a great motivational tip for losing weight. If you want to lose 20 pounds, place a 20 pound weight where you'll see it. Put it on the dining room table or on the sofa. This will remind you of how much extra weight you are carrying around. The article went on to say, “ We tend to not notice the drag–especially since the weight tends to come on slowly.”

The same could be said of clutter. It creeps up slowly, until one day it’s completely out of control. This reminds me of a clever decluttering book by Don Aslett, Lose 200 lbs. this weekend. People are often surprised by the amount of excess they have tucked away. How many excess pounds of clutter are you storing? Is it weighing you down? Maybe it’s time to lose it.

14 thoughts on “Lose Your Excess Clutter Weight

• May 19 2008 at 9:33 am

I agree 100%.

When I successfully declutter a room I feel about 100 lbs lighter all over – especially in my mind.

I was doing some planning this morning, in the space where I was asked how will I feel when the job was finished, in almost all of them I filled in relieved.

How much does relief weigh I wonder?

The answer should probably be nothing, but the burden of looking at all the junk AND knowing that you should be dealing with it is immeasurable.

Great reminder that really cuts to the core of the clutter problem (besides the issues of having to live and function with it!).

Jan – queenofkaos's last blog post..Liven Up Your Livingroom with Feng Shui

• Pingback: Weightloss » Blog Archive » Lose Your Excess Clutter Weight

• May 19 2008 at 4:32 pm

Jan,

I agree. I think that relief weighs nothing…that's why it feels so good. Particularly after the hundred pound weight has been lifted!

Like you…I love that light feeling you get after decluttering.

• May 20 2008 at 11:59 am

It’s so funny you wrote about this, because I have been a member for a while at The Clutter Diet website. They actually have you weigh in each week with how many bags of trash you threw away and how many boxes of donations you gave. I have lost 362 pounds so far already! LOL

• May 20 2008 at 12:36 pm

Congrats on the loss! lol!

• May 21 2008 at 6:24 am

Speaking of trash, I reduced the amount of trash we create by buying in bulk, composting, and recycling. Now I have a monthly pick up instead of weekly. We saved a bundle and by organizing my recycling, there's less clutter, which is what trash is in itself.

The Minimalist's last blog post..Emergen-C : Here's Their Answer…

• August 2 2008 at 4:41 am

If people could see what 20lbs of fat actually looks like and place that on your kitchen table they might be so grossed out that they would stop eating period. We have clutter and gain weight but don't seem to see it until it's a problem. Funny how that works.

Richard Morden's last blog post..Frank Kern clip on Tony Robbins

• August 3 2008 at 3:59 pm

Great post and I say what ever works for you is what you should be doing, and if this works for you, may you "declutter" to making yourself to a skinnier new you one pound ago! I feel low carb is the way to go although I found Atkins a bit restrictive for me and prefer the South Beach method so I can have ample veggies. I have decluttered myself almost 60 lbs. so far and need about 35 more lbs. of straightening up!

Todd's last blog post..Weight Loss Exercise And Injury

• August 15 2008 at 10:38 pm

I came here thinking that I would find a discussion on dieting and what I found really inspired me to do some cleaning up in my home. This post made me think of all the clutter that I have laying around and how badly that I need to get rid of it.

Serious Dieter's last blog post..Weight Loss and You

• August 25 2008 at 2:45 am

That's a very interesting concept (the 20 pound weight) now imagine most people who are 30-40 and even more pounds overweight and having to do that with a weight of equal pounds.

It would be spring cleaning in the weight loss world.

Fat Butt No More's last blog post..My Wife Has A Beer Belly-My Husband Is Pregnant

• May 13 2011 at 5:32 am

Hi Karen,

That is an interesting tip. Putting a 20lb fat in a place where you can see it all the time will eventually gross you out. And you will start thinking that the same amount is there in my body and you will work harder to get rid of it.

You will definitely follow your diet plans and start working out properly and regularly. What I have noticed with weight loss it that you need to be persistent. If you are persistent enough then you will 110% lose weight even if all you do is walk or swim. Not to mention that you will remain extremely fit.

As far as cluttering is concern I am a messy person by nature but I have noticed that whenever I declutter my work area I am more productive that day.

Emma