13 Ways to Get Rid of Your ClutterBy
Now what? How do you best get rid of these things? Here are 13 options.
2. Sell them through a consignment store.
3. Sell them through an auction house; here's just one.
4. Sell them to a store handling this specific kind of thing; sell books to a used bookstore, for example.
6. Hire a pro to run the yard sale for you; you'll give up part of the proceeds, but also all of the work!
7. Use one of the many swapping web sites to exchange your stuff for something more useful.
Give them away.
8. Give them to charities; depending on the item, that could be everything from Goodwill and The Salvation Army to your local Humane Society (which can almost certainly use any blankets or towels you have).
9. Give them to family and friends if you are sure they want them.
10. Give them away on Freecycle.
Let someone else figure it out.
11. Hire a hauling company; many of them will recycle what they can rather than taking everything to the dump.
For things with no remaining value: Recycle what you can and trash the rest.
12. Recycle those items that can be recycled. For toxic items, be sure to follow your local procedures for household hazardous waste.
13. Put the remaining items in the trash, or take them to the dump. Sadly, sometimes the only real answer is to send something to landfill.
Photo credit: Meg DoughertyJeri Dansky recycle donate Clutter Control Freak Blog stacksandstacks.com