Cookbook and Vitamin De-clutter

Ok – Here are my Saturday and Sunday de-clutters for Marcia's August De-clutter Challenge.

I de-cluttered my vitamin cabinet (I was shocked at how many expired items I had in there – good thing no one remembers to take vitamins around my house. I guess.) :)
Before:vitamin-before

After (I used one of these spice rack steps so I can see what's in the back):vitamin-after

cookbook-before

And here's my cookbook cabinet before:

And after (I donated about 10 cookbooks to Salvation Army):cookbook-after

These took almost no time at all, so I'm going to continue throughout the week. :)

11 thoughts on “Cookbook and Vitamin De-clutter

• August 11 2008 at 1:26 pm

I am soooo bad about taking vitamins. And I am bad about throwing the expired ones away.

Do you think it is all that bad to take expired vitamins?

Great job o your decluttering. I have an unused spice rack step that could be used very nicely in my vitamin cupboard. Thanks for the idea.

susan's last blog post..August Declutter Challenge – Day 11

• August 11 2008 at 3:10 pm

I'm bad about taking them too, Susan. I actually keep mine on my desk at work so I remember them about half the time.
    So far, no harm done here with the expired ones. I'm sure we've taken a few.
    Glad you can use the spice rack idea – they're great!

• August 12 2008 at 1:49 am

First time poster:

I too take a few vitamins/supplements/medicines daily.

Once a week or so, I take all the bottles to the dining room table and assemble packs of daily dosages into small resealable bags (think mini-Ziploc style) that I purchased from a packaging supply catalog.

You can Google a supplier should you want to try it out. You can get hundreds of small bags (various sizes are available) for a relatively small price and even reuse the bags as the pills won't damage them.

I keep the assembled "vitamin kits" near my wallet and keys (in a small container) and take one pack with me each day when I go to work, which is where I eat breakfast.

You can make the assembly project a Sunday night ritual, if that helps!

• August 12 2008 at 7:24 am

Great idea, Robert – worth a try!
    Thanks for your comment!

~Eva

• August 12 2008 at 10:27 am

Robert, that's a great idea. I have a little pill box that I pack every Sunday (for the week ahead) so I put in multiples of 7, depending on the vitamin.

EVA, I'm SOOOO proud of you! I know that must have been difficult looking at just how many cookbooks you have!

Well done!

Marcia, Organising Queen's last blog post..August declutter challenge – day 12

• August 12 2008 at 10:32 am

I could do even better than that with a little time. A lot of the ones I kept are the little ones I pick up at the checkout stand in the grocery store. I only use a handful of recipes from each. I need to clip them out and put them in a binder. Maybe that'll be the next de-clutter. :)

Thanks Marcia!

~Eva

• Pingback: August Declutter Challenge - Day 12 « Fruitful Words

• August 13 2008 at 5:51 am

They look great! love the idea of using the spice rack!! wtg!

Amanda's last blog post..Day 2

• October 8 2008 at 7:47 pm

I found this info very useful, and will tell my family about this, because they are always looking for better solutions and ideas. Thank you very much, and let me
    know about any other ideas you can offer by leaving a comment back to me about
    anything you recommend. Thanks!

Daryl Saari's last blog post..Choosing a multivitamin

• January 21 2009 at 12:42 am

Sheez, how many vitamins do you take? Maybe you should go for some "all-in-one" package

• January 21 2009 at 9:21 am

HA! I know it looks bad. Those are vitamins for me and my husband and three different kids, dog and cat vitamins, some prescriptions, and some over the counter meds. Not as crazy as it looks.