Christmas Songs That Don’t Drive Me Crazy
I gave this post that title because it’s actually the name of a Christmas playlist I created for myself. Now, if you don’t mind hearing the same Christmas songs year after year and haven’t gotten sick them, I certainly don’t mean to offend you with my pessimism. But… I can’t stand to hear the standard versions “White Christmas” or “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” one more time! This year I just got tired of them and had to find new ways to enjoy Christmas music. After a little research, I found that there are alternative versions to these songs that you don’t hear in the stores every year, and they’re quite refreshing!
Okay, I know, you can’t argue with the classics. And it’s not that there’s anything wrong with the songs themselves – I like the songs. I’m just hungry for a new way to appreciate them and experience something I haven’t before. Some of these songs on my playlist weren’t even written or recorded recently, they’ve been around for years, but they don’t get radio play. Another thing I’ve come to love is Christmas comedy. There are some great stand-up bits about Christmas, and they make a very refreshing addition to the playlist.
So I combined a little bit of everything: there’s some classical, some rock, some comedy, some alternative, some old, some new. Songs that can get me excited about the holidays without reminding me of standing in long lines at the mall. Enjoy!
Christmas Songs That Don’t Drive Me Crazy Playlist
1. JS Bach’s Christmas Oratorio – Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
2. Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming – John Fahey
3. Songs for a Winter’s Night – Gordon Lightfoot
4. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen / We Three Kings – Barenaked Ladies
5. Joy: Joy – George Winston
6. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – Death Cab for Cutie
7. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – She & Him
8. Gaudete – Mediaeval Baebes
9. Christmas is Coming – John Denver (with the Muppets!!!)
10. The Pageant – Garrison Keillor
11. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day – Johnny Cash
12. My Christmas Memory – Patton Oswalt
13. Here We Come A’ Wassailing – Edward Wright
Return to: Christmas Songs That Don’t Drive Me Crazy